Ilkeston memorabilia collector Ged Munro couldn’t believe his eyes when he came across a black and white picture postcard at an antiques fair in Nottingham recently.
The photograph shows a busy scene outside a shop which turned out to be ‘The Radio Shop’, 2 Station Road, Ilkeston.
On the reverse is written ‘First wireless in Ilkeston’ and the date 1921 with a question mark after it.
Also handwritten is ‘Mrs D Eminson, 5 Essex Street, Ilk’, which was presumably the shop keeper’s home address.
Ged checked an old Ilkeston Trade Directory and found there was indeed an ‘Emminson R. Wm.’ listed under Electricians at number 2 Station Road, Ilkeston. (Was that her husband, father or brother?) And that a Dora B Eminson or Emminson lived at 5 Essex Street, Ilkeston.